About the Club
The Great Chebeague Golf Club, now proudly listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was created in the Gilded Age of Maine seacoast towns when “rusticators” (summer tourists) began coming to the state. Many came for the new golf courses being built along the coast. Maine’s first was built in Bar Harbor in 1892.
Great Chebeague Island’s course was the inspiration of two men out picking blueberries in an open field in August of 1920. In just over two months, they created a golf club comprised of year-round island residents and summer people, bought and leased land, most of it cow pasture beside the bay, mowed and marked out “tees” and “greens” with stakes, a hammer and a 100-foot clothes line, and played the first round of golf. The first foursome hit over and around half a dozen cows.
A links-style course with every hole overlooking Casco Bay, the club began with six holes, then quickly grew to nine. Its layout is dictated by the terrain: rocky, slightly hilly shoreline, with inlets, streams, bogs and tall woods. Four holes play over a public road.
Chebeague is the Native American word for island of many springs. For centuries, it had been a summer vacation place for Passamaquoddy and Presumscot tribes. They had teepees on the new island golf course until the mid-1930s and along the edge of the golf course until the 1950s, where they sold beautiful sweet grass baskets.
The Chebeague course and its historic setting, surrounded by 18th and 19th century houses and the 1920s Chebeague Island Inn, is so well preserved that the National Register of Historic Places, in July, 2015, placed it on its list of more than 90,000 of the nation’s most beautiful and historic sites. Only four other Maine golf courses, all inland courses, are on the prestigious National Register.
The Great Chebeague Golf Club is privately-owned, but welcomes members of the public to experience this unique and fun course for themselves.
Weekdays and Weekends
Adults (16 and up) - $45
Juniors (15 and under) - $20
(time restrictions apply)
* 7 Round Play Card (good any consecutive 14 day period, non-transferable) - $250
Guests of Members - $30
Juniors (15 and under) - $20
(must be playing with member or be a house guest)
Family of Member (15 and under) - $15
Guests playing with members after 5:00 PM - $15
* As before: Chebeague Island Year Round Residents after 5PM – Free
* Guest of Member Ten Play Card – (unlimited purchase) - $250
Course Closing All Day for Private Event - Only $1500 !
Chebeague Island Year Round Residents after 5PM - FREE
(With annual registration pass)
All golfers must be registered (signed-in) prior to play
- Greens fees are charged for guests of Members participating in Men’s and Women’s Day events
- No greens fees charged for Junior Clinic
- Non-Members playing in Swatfests: Adults- $5 Greens Fee, Juniors-No Fee
- Non-Members playing in Family or Lobster Bake Scrambles: Adults-$10 Greens Fee, Juniors-No Fee.
Clubs $12 per day
Junior Clubs $7 per day
Motorized Golf Carts (limited number available) RULES »
Member 9 Hole $8/PP
Member 18 Hole $15/PP
Non-Member 18 Hole $20/PP
Carts may be reserved by depositing the cart fee with the clubhouse
Pull Carts Free to Members, Non-members $6 per day
(Drivers license or credit card required as security deposit on rentals)
COURSE –Times with Priority Play
- Course is open to all with the understanding that planned groups have priority
- Monday mornings until 11:30 until Labor Day ( Ladies Day)
- Thursday mornings until 12 noon until Labor Day ( Men’s Day)
- Thursday between 3 and 5PM until Labor Day ( Junior Golf)
Local Rules »